Web App Project: Sprint 2

It is two weeks into my 8-week web app project. The total worked time so far is just over 21 hours. I’m amazed how much an hour in the morning and evening can accrue. This week was tough, not only did I have to contend with the learning curve for the Ember framework which I’ve never used before and is the front-end of this app, but, to make matters worse, I’ve also have been sick for about 10 days, and it had me flat on my back for a whole day last weekend.

When using Scrum, you should avoid debating about how much time might be required when trying to estimate stories. I think it’s relevant to mention it here. Always be comparing stories on complexity, then unknown stuff you might have to learn. If the number of days spent changes that will, of course, impact the sprint velocity which so far in this project is 4. If you just watched the demo, you’d know there are some bugs; I think it reflects the situation that happened in this sprint which had me only being able to work about half the amount of hours I gave into the first sprint.

Several times I both read and heard authentication using Ember and Google OAuth is easy. Unfortunately, I didn’t find it that way, and I eventually came across other blogs stating the literature is out of date and not quite geared toward what “normal” people are trying to accomplish. It didn’t take too long until I decided to reach out to Alexandr Opak again, who quickly added the required libraries and prepared the application. All I had to decide on was the provider; Google, Twitter, Facebook, then add the code. He could have done it all but knew I wanted to learn the framework. Needless to say, I’m starting to become a fan of this guy, and without him, I probably would have had to fail the sprint.

So far I’ve been trying to avoid making this into a technical journal with source code listings, but, I would like to share the links for the required API documentation to help anyone wanting to do similar work:

https://developers.google.com/identity/protocols/OAuth2
https://www.npmjs.com/package/ember-simple-auth-firebase
https://github.com/Vestorly/torii

I’ve also just bought a book “Deliver Audacious Web Apps with Ember 2” by Matthew White, which I think is excellent, I’ve already read 20%, it takes you step for step through creating an application like Evernote and provides a lot of know-how your not just going to stumble across on the web.

This leads me to my main takeaway this week and I’m thinking it is fairly certain there will be a bit of refactoring and work required to make this app beautiful, but, for now, let’s get to what I would call the juicy part, the planning and what next.

Sprint 3 Backlog

In next weeks sprint I have 3 bugs and again taken stories with a total estimate of 4 points;

  • Setup Linux server (1 point).
  • Create service to time website (3 points).

For the job to be considered done, I expect the service to take a URL  and check the site’s performance and log it to a text file. The program does not have to interface with the database.

The backlog is not looking good right now. There are stories with a total of 35 points and with a velocity of 4 points per sprint, we might need another 9. I’m going to have to spend a bit of time on working on it next week. Hopefully, some of the 3 pointer stories are not as complicated I thought.