How to setup WordPress on Amazon
I’m into my 3rd year using Amazon and think setting up a web server.
- Is 50% cheaper than most hosting providers.
You’ll have a faster website.
- You can host multiple sites for the price of one.
- Can have the same type of drag and drop website designer tools.
- Setup HTTPS for free.
I’ve spent a lot of time seeking the ideal provider for my business sites.
The offerings all have the same confusing jargon, similar features and prices.
I have over 20 years professional software developer experience and want to help people launch their ideas into the world.
Comparisons are difficult between the many providers. In the end, you get what you pay for.
Why use a cloud provider?
For me, it all started when I tried out Amazon web services and realised the potential this kind of platform could provide.
They have taken away the entry barrier to world-class infrastructure, and their service allows you to adapt architecture to your business needs.
You can even make money by renting the additional space you have.
A great analogy I once heard was that it’s like wanting to compete in sport. If you’re going to get into racing bicycles, do you first learn to build the bike or is it better to buy one and start training.
Nobody owns these anymore.
And there is a good reason…
What to expect
- Having access to world class infrastructure.
- You control the firewall, so can hook up to any service you want.
- They make it easy to create a highly available (HA) website. You know there is a fail-over server, will be able to test it and know it is not just a vague promise anymore.
- You get the ability to leverage Content Delivery Networks (CDN). A giant data cache that both off loads traffic from your servers and makes the performance of your website better.
- You can split processing of data from your website to backend servers, enabling you to keep critical data away from the front-end which is exposed to the internet.
- Getting the ability to quickly setup a VPN between the webserver and your offices.
- You will be able to rapidly setup new systems. If you realise it’s not working out the way you thought, you can teardown the system and the costs stop.
How much does the website cost?
The first month as a new user on AWS free tier it should cost you less than 5$, after that you can expect to pay 9$ per month.
Why not use AWS lightsail or the marketplace SAAS?
Yes, you would be faster, BUT, my guide starts by teaching you how to setup the VPS, manage security and configure the server.
Scripted automated setups might work at the beginning and break sometime later. You should know what steps these are doing. It’s not difficult to learn, and I would recommend becoming familiar unless you want to pay hundreds or thousands to a developer for a 20-minute job.
How To Setup Your Own Web Server
More coming soon…
The next videos will be about
- Web server maintenance.
- Setting up a basic WordPress site.
Register on my mailing list for updates. I am vlogging progress on YouTube and regularly sharing my story on Instagram.